London is home to a population of approximately 9 million people, and one of the largest and oldest cities in the world, with a rich, vibrant history stretching back to the Roman empire. The city is renowned for its economy, architecture, culture and iconic landmarks.
London is one amongst many cities across the United Kingdom that are under the National Health Service (NHS) medical programme, widely regarded as one of the best healthcare programmes in the entire world. The NHS, which is funded by taxpayers, provides free treatment to residents of the United Kingdom, as well as offering certain medical services at a subsidized price. Free NHS healthcare may also extend to individuals fulfilling certain criteria, that is,
- If the patient is a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- If the patient is from another country, and they have got permission to stay in the UK for more than six months - for example, a work visa
If the patient does not meet the above conditions, they are not entitled to free healthcare and are obliged to pay for medical services upfront before receiving them.
Why choose an air ambulance
An air ambulance brings with it certain conveniences that ground ambulances do not have, namely:
- Air ambulances are not constrained by delays caused by road traffic.
- Air ambulances travel at a much faster speed than ground ambulances, hence shortening the time between patient transfers and reducing the risk of the patient’s condition worsening en-route.
- An air ambulance, more so a helicopter, can access terrain that vehicles cannot, and can land directly at or hover above the point of the incident in order to evacuate the patient to safety.
- Air ambulances, specifically ambulance jets, cover longer distances than other forms of transport would, which is crucial for crossing countries and continents for medical care.
Air Ambulances to London
An air ambulance can be boarded to London for several reasons:
- For domestic ambulance flights - For transport of patients within a country, a domestic air ambulance is used as it is most efficient for covering journeys between cities in a short amount of time. Patients seeking domestic air travel may either want to travel to a city where they are closer to their family or friends, or where they can receive specialized treatment.
- For medical evacuation - Medical Evacuation, commonly referred to as medevac, or Medical Evacuation involves the transport of an injured person from the point of injury to a medical facility, or from one medical facility to another. Air Ambulances come equipped with trained personnel and medical equipment to ensure that the patient receives medical care en-route to seek further medical assistance.
- For medical repatriation - medical emergencies can happen at any time, and some tend to be unavoidable as they are unprecedented. A patient on holiday in a different country, or visiting another country for different reasons may be dissatisfied with the medical system in that country and would like to be brought back to London to receive medical care. Thus, their best option is to take an air ambulance that will ensure they not only reach the country but the hospital, safely.
- For medical tourism - Not all countries around the world are endowed with the same medical system as London is. Therefore, patients seeking better medical care may opt to board an air ambulance to transport them to London, where the facilities and personnel are better than the ones available to them back in their home country.
- To transport a coffin back home - Aside from seeking medical care, one may also opt for the services of an air ambulance to transport a body back into the city or country if the deceased wished to be buried in London.
Air Ambulances from London
An individual may also seek to board an air ambulance out of London for the following reasons:
- For Medical Tourism purposes - Much like the reason why a patient would like to fly to London to receive healthcare, not every specialist is stationed within London. A patient may require specialized treatment, and the top practitioners who possess the skill to provide it may be found elsewhere across the globe. For this reason, a patient may be compelled to take an air ambulance to the country in which the specialist is based.
- Medical emergencies - For people visiting London either for business or leisure, accidents and/or sickness can, unfortunately, happen without prior warning. To facilitate urgent medical care, air ambulances are crucial.
- To transport a coffin back home - A person undergoing treatment in London may lose their life, and the family of the deceased may wish to bring their body back home for the funeral procession. Hence, an air ambulance would be best suited to facilitate the transport of the remains safely back to the home country.
Why choose Medical Air Service
Medical Air Service is a global air ambulance company with decades of medical air experience. We determine what option of air ambulance is the best and most cost-effective for you - either a commercial airline or private jet - and ensure that all our patient’s needs are met along the way, from the moment they leave the medical facility to the moment you arrive at the next one.
We adhere to ISO 9001 standards, and our patient’s safety is our top priority. Therefore, we rely on the medical staff with years of experience and the latest technical equipment in modern medicine aboard our air ambulances. Our team is also available 24/7 for a free, direct, no-obligation consultation.
How are the costs for an air ambulance calculated?
Not all insurance plans cover the costs of an air ambulance. If this is the case, it is important to understand how the final costs are arrived at. Each situation is calculated on an individual basis, and the cost is dependent on several factors which include:
- The overall distance covered and route that was taken.
- The patient’s state of health at the time of the journey
- The number of people accompanying the patient
- The type of air ambulance required.
- The urgency of the transport
Contact us today for all your London air ambulance inquiries, and to get a quote. Our team is available 24/7 for a free, no-obligation consultation and happy to advise you on taking an air ambulance from wherever you are around the world. You can reach us: